Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Making a CAS Christmas Ornament with Donna

This week I made a fun CAS Christmas ornament using the Gel-a-tins 3-D Stamp Set. You could easily make these for a quick, inexpensive gift. Here's the finished product.

I found this acrylic ornament at Hobby Lobby. Here's what it looks like.


The first thing you do is take out the cardboard insert that comes in the ornament and trace it on the patterned paper. It's not a standard circle so you can't use a punch or die - you just have to cut it out with scissors. Notice I traced it on the very edge of the paper, because I want to use as little of my paper as possible so I have more to use for other things later.


I decided to use two colors for my ornament. One side uses and aqua blue polka dot paper and the other side uses a red polka dot paper.


After I cut out both the ornament shapes from the two papers I glued the patterned papers onto the insert that came in the ornament. Don't worry if you have a few imperfections cutting out the circle - we can work on that. After gluing the two pieces of paper to the insert, I painted the edges with my Snow Cap Dabber acrylic paint dabber. This helps cover any imperfections you may have had when cutting out the shape.


Then I stamped the letters J O Y twice - once in the aqua blue color and once in red. After cutting out the letters I adhered them to both sides of the ornament insert using foam tape. Next, I put the insert back in to the ornament and closed it and put the top back on.


I had a great time making this ornament and I was surprised at how nice the finished product look. If you decide to make an ornament, please let me know. I would love to see it. My blog address is http://thecraftycorgi.blogspot.com

Materials:
1. Ornament Ball - Hobby Lobby
2. Decorative Paper - Bright & Jolly - Recollections
3. Ink - Real Red, Pool Party - Stampin' Up
4. Stamps - 3-D Alpha - Gel-a-tins
5. Acrylic Paint Dabber - Snow Cap - Adirondack Lights
6. Foam Tape - Stampin Dimensionals - Stampin' Up
7. Paper Snips - Martha Stewart

1 comment:

Jeannie from PolkaCabana.wordpress.com said...

Cute ornaments Donna! Very creative and festive.